Monday 31 July 2017

Why are Pukeko colorful?

Why are pukekos colorful? I will tell you a secret: They aren’t meant to be. Why? Let me tell you why…


Once upon a time, Pukeko were completely black. They were like big crows. And they acted like them, too. Pukeko were also glum. They hated their dull, black coat. They often shouted to the skies, hoping that the gods would hear. One day, Pukeko saw Uenuku come down from the sky. “I have heard your cries. How may I help you?” The Pukeko looked up. “Please, Uenuku. My brothers have been banished to the swamp. Our dull black coats blend in, so we can’t see each other.” The rainbow god thought for a moment, before coming up with a solution. “I shall take the finest colors from my rainbows, and give your feathers a dash of each color.” And so the god set out to get the finest colors of all the lands. He took the greens from Tane Mahuta, and the blues from Tangaroa. Then they took the reds from Mahuika. They finally returned to the Pukeko. “Here. I have made you a coat of the finest colors.” They gave the coat to the Pukeko, and departed. But the Pukeko wasn’t grateful. He pranced around the lands, flaunting his coat just to make others jealous. Uenuku was furious. “You have misused my fine colors. I shall take away your great coat, and replace it with black, to remind you of your egotism and what it brings.” And so, the Pukeko was no longer wonderfully covered in colors. Although Uenuku took away their coat, they had secretly stolen it back. But by the time they had got it, the greens had turned to black, and the Red was reduced to an amount small enough to cover a beak. The Pukeko felt shameful for being so foolish. And so, the Pukeko never flaunted their colors again.


No comments:

Post a Comment